Sunday, January 25, 2015

Newspaper Archives

I love searching through old newspapers for stories about my ancestors. As The Ancestor Hunt blog posted yesterday though, there are disappointingly few available electronically - they estimate something like 10%. The rest need too be manually scoured at libraries across the country.

Thankfully the excellent Chronicling America site from the Library of Congress has a database of libraries with holdings of ALL of the old newspapers out there. I'm going to make a point to start tracking which libraries and historical societies have relevant newspapers for my ancestry so I can be ready to plan trips to dig deep into the past.

http://www.theancestorhunt.com/blog/the-best-way-to-find-every-historic-newspaper-in-america

No comments:

Post a Comment